Saturday 31 January 2015

Custard Walk

As a Non-Newtonian fluid, the more force exerted on the custard powder+water mixture, the more the particles of the fluid huddle together to become a solid! Basically you can do a pretty good Jesus impression - or cartwheel through it as one of my crazy Scouts did!

I think we had a good 80 kilos or more of custard powder/cornflour!

Making the custard mixture
Lining up our troop ready to walk on the custard

It was great fun. Not as messy as I thought it would be! We definitely needed 3 leaders to run it. We just kept adding custard powder to water and mixing it. I think the space there is about 8' x 2' x 5". We just put a tarp over some benches which worked really well. The kids lined up and ran across it and had a right laugh. I'm not sure who had more fun, the Scout leaders of the Scouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!