Friday 2 January 2015

Baby quilt - Part Two

Woohoo my polyester wadding from www.sewandso.co.uk (£5.95/m squared, although you may be able to get a better deal down the rag market but I was being impatient and lazy so I went online) came in the post. 

So... putting my eyeballs to one side for a little while I have started to complete the final stages of my baby quilt.


More bits and bobs you might want

I have some lovely blue bias binding (2" thick) which will match the fabric colour
Blue thread or a thread that will match your patchwork colour.

Let's get to work!

The great thing about putting bias binding around the edge of your quilt is that (as long as the wadding, patchwork and fleece material are all the same size) you can sew the quilt as you would like it to be... 
i.e. patchwork with right side facing up, wadding next, then fleece on the bottom.

Pin it all together with enough space for your sewing machine foot to get down the seams of all your patches. I have put two pins on the edges of each square but you could use safety pins to pin the middle of each square. I went from left to right and made sure the whole piece was flat. If you can work at a table that is the same size as your quilt, this is best. Mine is a little too small so I have just been extremely careful with pinning my fabric together. 

**N.B. It is worth taking time over pinning and checking the back of your three layers of fabric so that it is not puckered and looks flat before you start - saves unpicking or crying later :)

Now that all the pins are in place, I'm going to sew along the seams of the patchwork sewing the vertical rows first, then the horizontals. This is sometimes called "sewing the ditches." I've used a thread which matches the pattern of my patchwork (ubut feel free to make it your own and go crazy with a zany clashing-colour!). Also, try to keep in the ditch of the seam, although it's not too obvious if you have gone off a little bit.



GOOD LUCK!

**I'm off to do this now so I'll pop up a few pics when I get back!**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!