Friday 30 January 2015

Crafting boxes for my Crafters



As I am doing some craft workshops and was finding that I was developing a bit of a storage issue, I decided to make some craft boxes so that I could keep certain tools & materials prepped and ready to go, for my workshops. I thought I'd show you how to make one because it is so simple and they look quite pretty in the end. 

It's also a good promotional tool because it is something tangible, aesthetically pleasing, practical (it carries their "make") and it has my details on it so the craft workshopper or their friends might share it online or contact me, having seen my details.  

These boxes also work as yarn boxes if you make a big hole in one end (although you might as well just use a square tissue box if you are going to do that!). 

What you'll need to make one

Cardboard boxes (size - 6" x 4" x 4") at 25p each
Sellotape
Scissors
PVA glue (not essential)
2 x Loom band elastic (I think I own a gazillion!)
Funky self-adhesive fabric tape (dependent on size of box)
2 x split pins
A small piece of paper with your logo or name on (this is where you'll use the PVA)

Cardboard boxes from the internet - I sellotaped the bottom to keep it enclosed

We're basically wrapping sticky fabric tape around a box. To start, I made up the flatpack box and sellotaped the bottom so it would be sturdy.

I then measured the cardboard boxes, making sure that where the fabric would be, on the top of the box, would match and be level all along. So, I measured to the middle of the box and drew a pencil line so I would know where to put the fabric tape to make it look good. 

I started by matching up the fabric tape on the top of the box, wrapping it all along the pencil line and then cutting it off so that it went over the end about 1cm, so that the edge looked clean.
I love the look of the top. I will put split pins either side of the flaps and attach a loom band elastic across them to secure the flaps and keep the crafty things in.  



Beautiful floral self-adhesive tape (1.5mm)
Right, once I did all this to 10 boxes I got out the PVA and a paintbrush, having printed off my logo and details, and stuck them to the end of the box. 



///I am waiting on an order of split pins so that I can do the finishing touches. I still have until next weekend though so I've got a bit of time until then///

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!