Monday 19 January 2015

LEARN TO CODE IN A DAY: Challenge accepted

Starting with a cup of tea, a laptop, a smartphone and a Sunday Times Magazine article



Better get on with making an app for a simple game of snap, then.


In the paper article it's not completely clear what to do at Step 2, 3 GOOGLE DOCS
I've managed to land on this url which is where you're meant to be, I think. 
This is basically the article online with links and tutorial so it's more straightforward for me

WIREFRAMING
Wireframing is basically building up a draft of what you will put into your app - like sketching out a drawing before you paint.
I have chosen a wireframe, mobile first template called "Mobile Phone" by Morten Just
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1oXfktwdGhVmvLh_5cnPXso3Rdnu3nlZsq4qkvOcxKgE/edit
This is really simple to create shapes with. Great.

Thoughts
I didn't really think that the short course in Dreamweaver that I went to would be very useful as I didn't have a project but it has been a brilliant foundation for creating this Snap Happy app. I am developing an understanding of the coding language and reinforcing it.

Step 7: Designing our user interface
So far the code is looking something like this …https://learn.playto.io/snap-that/lesson/7
I had to put that link in because, as you can see below, my blog has decided to translate my evidently not completely successful coding, but at least I've got "pigeon Coding" down, right? 

  Snap Happy
      content="width=device-width,
               initial-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no">

 



    Canvas not supported

PLAY SNAP HAPPY

PLAYER 1
PLAYER 2
Canvas not supported
 

   



STEP 6: INTRO TO CSS
Definitely getting stuck at this point because, once I clicked on the + symbol in the file menu and created style.css, the program seems to have deleted all my coding information from my app which I named “SNAP APP” although on the right side of the screen I can still see that it says “play snap happy” and “player 1” and “player 2”.

So… I put panicking on the back burner and just decided to insert this code into the style.css and see what happens.

Turns out (as the article said) it links both files, so hopefully I was being iffy for no reason. Let’s see…

So, it's all connected but my code, (even when I copy in code from the tutorial to see if I've misspelt something), does not change the right hand screen which it usually does in Dreamweaver and the tutorial seems to suggested (via images) that the App creator/learner will be seeing the text on the right change. 

LUNCH - Putting this on the backburner and I'll give it a re-read later. I have a couple of jobs to apply for and workshops to plan. Can't spend all day trying to learn something really cool (much as I want to). Any suggestions as to what might be going wrong would be really appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!