Friday 2 January 2015

Walking foot envy

I have distracted myself dreaming over a walking foot for my sewing machine. Here is a tutorial from Fons & Porter about using a walking foot. It stops your quilt from puckering apparently but I'm going to see how easy it is to do quilting with my normal foot tonight. 

Time To Quilt: Using Your Walking Foot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO-EW0exM7U

Whilst making my baby quilt I didn't find it too hard to sew without a walking foot. As long as there are lots of pins and you go at a medium speed the fabric doesn't pucker much. The baby quilt I made didn't pucker up too much even though I was using fleece. cotton fabric and 5mm polyester wadding. The biggest issue was keeping the materials together so I think basting spray would be the first thing I'd spend my money on.

The walking foot, however, would be a good idea as it has a guide which would help one to follow straight lines when sewing the ditches of a patchwork and would keep the fabric from puckering, as I mentioned earlier. On Amazon there is one for about £5 which fits some different UK sewing machines so it would not be a wild expense for something quite useful. 

Maybe a walking foot will be my next purchase. Not right now though as I've already had a major spending spree of late because I bought some fat quarters of herringbone tweed to go with the herringbone tweed I've had knocking about for ages and want to put it to good use in a quilt!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!