Friday 2 January 2015

Crochet your own 3D detached, monster eyeball

Crochet your own 3D detached, monster eyeball

I woke up this morning and had no idea that, by tonight, I'd have a bit of a monster eyeball product line going on in my kitchen. I think my parents must imagine I'm having a nervous breakdown but sometimes it's just fun to do something for no reason. So... eyeballs.

In my previous blog post I showed you how to make a slightly 3D eyeball 

This time I have added colour to the iris and made it 3D with an optic nerve for good measure. The great thing about this is how simple it is to make.

The finished product.


MATERIALS



This is what you're going to need to make your 3D monster eye. 

White wool (for the whites of the eye)
Green wool (for the iris)
Black wool (for the pupil)
100% polyester stuffing (I used some from a cheap cushion I had lying around)

**Red wool if you want a red optic nerve or blood vessels in your monster eye!**

Size 4.00 crochet hook
Scissors
Needle








MAKING EYEBALLS 

Make your pupil and iris by follow my previous 2D eye blog post and simply substitute white wool for an iris colour wool). I'm still not sure if I prefer one row of colour (for the iris) or two so have a play and see what you think works best.

Slip the white wool into your iris coloured circle and crochet around it. I have added a stitch for every crochet. Then just crochet around the iris 5 times and it turns into a sphere really easily. If you add some polyester stuffing as you go then you will get a feel for the shape as well. Change the wool colour to red and do about 3 rows of red skipping a stitch after every crochet so that the sphere closes. Add more stuffing if it looks saggy. 

Once your sphere of crocheting is closed do a chain of about 15 stitches to create the optic nerve. If you are feeling creative you could sew red wool or thread from the iris to create blood vessels in the eye.



Here is my little production line. Having made up all the pupils I wanted I added coloured irises, then made a sphere of white wool crocheting which turned them into 3D eyeballs. You will see that the colour parts in this picture still have their slipknot so that I could continue crocheting with white wool outside the irises.


I think it is quite satisfying making a production line because I feel like I'm making them much faster than if I did one eyeball at a time. It also means I can tidy up the different balls of wool as I go.


** Having taken some advice, from my sister, I have changed the optic nerve colour to red which makes it look more realistic! So after doing 5 rounds of the white wool for the whites of the eye, I have changed wool colour to red for 3 rounds and made it into a tail of 15 stitches.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!