Friday 27 February 2015

Paolo Nutini feat. Chaplin review


Photo source: News limited 

I saw Paolo Nutini, at the LG arena, whilst he was on tour last year (promoting Caustic Love) and he did some amazing arrangements and re-arrangements of his songs. Let me down easy and a really psychedelic version of one of his songs that I can't remember now - might've been Jenny don't be hasty (if there's a live DVD I'm getting it!). The light show was fantastic and he was the friendliest artist - really up for chatting to the group of people watching him perform. I have to admit his accent took some listening to at times, but I think the microphone was a little quiet when he was speaking because I'm usually fine with that cosy, Scottish accent.

I absolutely love one of his songs (amongst others), Iron Sky, which has a brilliant crescendo leading to this powerful speech by Chaplin, which sits perfectly within the atmosphere of the song and is crushingly inspirational. Nutini's depth of tone and vocal power drives the story of the song and I just thought I'd pop a video of Iron Sky here and the final speech from The Great Dictator for you to watch. It is also quite strange to hear Chaplin's voice and that shocked me into really listening to his moving words in this speech.

Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator

Paolo Nutini singing Iron Sky (Abbey Road live session) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!