Wednesday 4 February 2015

Machine bias binding

I just realised that I got really excited about sewing both sides of the bias binding (on a quilt) via the sewing machine instead of sewing one side on the sewing machine then doing whip stitch on the other (which takes AAAAGES!). 

All this excitement because I thought that there was some sort of quilting voodoo behind it when actually it's really simple - Just doing what I usually do but the opposite (i.e. machine sewing the wrong side, then machine sewing the right side) - oh the joys of being self-taught!

If that all sounds cryptic, (hmm...blog post fail) here is a great tutorial (from Missouri Star Quilt Company) I found online as to how to do the "Quilting Voodoo." 

How To Bind a Quilt With a Sewing Machine

SO just a simple machine sew on the wrong side of the quilt, then machine sewing on the right side with a very wide zigzag - which looks nice but not quite what I want specifically. More internet trawling pour moi (but later as I am GOING TO FINISH MY QUILT! No more procrastinating).

Some of these bias binding tutorials are soooooo boring. The one above is ok and tells me most of what I wanted to know with minimal faff, although I think I fast-forwarded it a lot. 

MY FAVOURITE TUTORIALS

I think I like Hey Quilty best for tutorials (but I can't find a tutorial for bias binding techniques) because it is filmed like a TV show. They have 2 people discussing a subject, lots of text visuals, quilt examples and explanations. The audio, video and close-ups are great. The lighting is also very bright. The presenter speaks clearly and is very clear about their techniques and what you have to do to achieve their results.

Here is an example of a brilliant Hey Quilty introduction to making your own bias binding 

n.b. There is still no quilting voodoo anyway because the sewing is on both sides so i still don't understand how the Instagram lady made the quilt have a line of machine sewing on only one side!!! Agh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!