Wednesday 25 March 2015

Tudor painting

It's been a little while since my last post so I thought I'd check in. I've been experimenting a bit recently and knitting fingerless gloves but here's what I've been up to paint-wise... 

Practical Tudor painting

My seasonal part-time job involves Tudor living so I've been playing with Tudor paint-styles and skills at the moment. I have found some information about how to make Tudor paint but it's still a work in progress.I will upload some photos/videos of how I'm getting on as I go along. 

Paint pigments 

Charcoal (vine black/lamp black ) = black (add to oil)
Goldenrod/Ochre = yellow (add to chalk+water)
Woad = blue
Rhubarb leaves/madder = red/orange

Silver/Gold leaf for decoration

I've already mixed woad/vine black and oil to make a good ink but I need to play with it a bit more before I use it on my good linen fabric. The next step is then finding rabbit glue to use as a binding.

Interesting links

Tudor Monastery Farm have uploaded a video: How to make Tudor paint.
I also found some great info on YouTube of: how to make a paintbrush out of a feather . 

If anyone knows a good link to info about the practicalities of Tudor painting, please feel free to comment on this post and I'll get back to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!