Monday 16 February 2015

Exploring Martineau Gardens in Edgbaston

My sister, my niece and I discovered a beautiful trail through the woods at Martineau Gardens last week. We tramped along the woodchip path and found Mister Fox's lair, Mister Badger's den and to be honest I'm not sure what Mister Toad was living in but it was woven in willow. I have a feeling they have something Wind in the Willows-themed going on in the Summer but we didn't have too much time to do that what with all the exploring. The garden has lots of open spaces for kids to run around in and a wild flower meadow which will look amazing in the Spring! By the time we got to my car my niece was definitely ready for an afternoon nap!




One of the volunteers working to keep the gardens tidy showed us the snowdrops that had just started blooming in the wood. A sign that Spring is nearly here. I think I need an opportunity to get my hammock out. It's been far too cold for far too long, although it does mean an excuse for hot chocolate and knitting which I love!



So much work goes into keeping this idyll running. It costs £250 a day to keep it going with no government funding (so donations and volunteers are key) but the core team that work there are dedicated and they have loads of great events which keep the public coming back for more! They have a Bat Walk, a Honey Show, a Storytelling Festival, they did Tai Chi classes last year, they sell their own jams and honey and have a great Art collective, (Tiger Skins of Sunlight) which is in the studio for the Summer - lovely, friendly artists making excellent art and planning loads of brilliant arts/crafts workshops for February Half Term as well.


I can't wait to go back with my picnic rug in Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!